Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Rain drops are falling


With the weather getting cooler, and the rain coming down almost everyday this week, I reach out to my trusty old umbrella. I'm running through our torn up down town to reach my bus stop. (Tri-Met Light Rail is expanding their lines to run North/South here in Portland) For once bus #44 is on time. The windows are all fogged up even the driver can't see out his windshield. Maneuvering through detours and the mad rush of people trying to get home all at the same time can be a little frustrating. Luckily, today's bus driver didn't get all herky jerky on his brakes,and we weren't all packed like sardines as we were yesterday. Got back to the Village and enjoyed the fresh air and smell of wet grass and dirt as I make my way across the bridge, down the side steps and onto the street of where my house is awaiting me. The dogs are happy to see me, c. is not home yet as I set about putting French onion soup in the oven. A simple bowl of hot steaming soup with some nan-indian bread to go along will make the perfect dinner for tonight. Recipe for French Onion Soup:

2 large vidalia or sweet onions- sliced (Julienned style), sauteed with cold pressed virgin olive oil over high heat until semi-cooked state, throw in some Sherry (to taste), 2 cans of chicken broth/ fresh or canned, let the whole soup cook and simmer, (you want to gradually cook off the alcohol content of the Sherry), add fresh or dried Thyme (I just pick a fresh stalk from my garden), lot's of pepper to taste. Simmer until onions are quite well done. Feel free to add some mushrooms (just a different twist). Divide the soup into large cups or bowls, take some old crusty bread, preferrably french bread toasted or croutons, place them on top of soup and put a few slices of swiss, not provolone cheese! on top. Stick soup bowls into 400 degree pre-heated oven and let the cheese melt. For a burnt cheese effect, turn your broiler on and let the swiss cheese bubble, and voila, soup is served!! Take your nan-bread (toasted would be better) and dip wedges into soup and enjoy. You can find nan-bread in any ethnic/asian supermarket or Trader Joes if you live in the West Coast! My trader joes link is on the top of my blog site! Simple gourmet food to end a perfect rainy day in Portland.

3 comments:

natalie said...

yum. now i have a place to go for new receipes. yay! stay dry you and say hi to Lucky and Bear for me.

mm said...

Thanks Natty, I decided that I'm going to have a recipe for something that I have made recently, or even tried at a restaurant. You know, part of the whole epicurean adventure. We'll see how long this lasts! Stay tuned for more food!

Anonymous said...

You write very well.